I have a lamp table that has the apron separated and I do not feel confident enough to glue it myself. I do not want to mess the job up. Is this something that you can do?

Yes, I can glue a table apron in place. The sides of the apron connect to the main pedestal base and the ends attach to the sides. If the joint between the sides and ends have dowels then the job can be done relatively easily. Cleaning the dowels to remove old glue and the holes into which the dowels fit is a must. Use a small strip of an old sheet to add size to the dowels. Dry fit the joint to make sure all fits well. If the dry fit is good then separate the joint, add glue and reassemble the joint. Add clamps to hold the apron in place until the glue sets and the table should be good as new or old in this case.

I have a Duncan Phyfe style small round tea table. Two of the legs are broken and one is solid. Because the legs are curved I am not sure how to glue them. Can you give me some help as to how this can be done?

It is difficult to glue items that are not square or flat. For your table if you can get the legs removed from the pedestal you will be more able to get clamps on the leg.  Place a thin sheet of plastic and clamp one of the pieces of the broken leg on a flat surface. Dry fit the two pieces together. Clamp the second piece to check the fit. If the fit is good then loosen the clamp on the second piece, add glue and re-clamp. This will give you correct alignment for a flat side to that style of leg. The hard part of this is to get a clamp on the curved part of the leg. By using a third clamp draw the two clamps together just enough so you will see a slight squeeze out of the glue. Let the glue set up. If the break is long and you can get a clamp directly across the break you can clamp in that position. The reason to do a dry clamping is to see where you can put pressure and draw the leg together. After you have solid legs you can glue them back on the pedestal.

I have a table top with fine scratches and would like to know how to remove those scratches. Can you help with this problem?

You can use a very fine sanding sponge to go over the area with scratches. You can use a very fine rubbing compound. You can use a paste wax. The rubbing out is the least aggressive. A professional might use a retarder type material that actually causes the finish to blend the scratches. This is best left to the professional as too much can create more of a problem than what you might have.

Until next time I’m Ron Stookey.

E-mail to r.stookeyccref@att.net or telephone at (515) 277-1555. The shop is at 113 5th Street, West Des Moines, Iowa. Mailing address is Ron Stookey, P.O. Box 65102, West Des Moines, Iowa 50226. Visit us at www.countrycabooserefinishing.com www.countrycabooserefinishing.com